January 21, 2012

1/21/06~1/21/12

Six years....it doesn't feel like it at all!  On Facebook this morning I posted this about our 6Th wedding anniversary...
Marriage is like climbing Mt. Everest. It is sometimes hard as hell and you want to quit but someone who had gone before you told you how beautiful it is at the top so you keep going! Today Brian and I got to Base Camp number 6 and there is no one who I would rather climb to the top with!
It's completely true!   I can't see myself with any other man.  T

I heard the comparison of raising children to climbing Everest and since we don't have any kids ( sorry Princess and Chance) no two legged kids, I thought of it from an aspect I know.  Marriage...
From what I understand about Everest it isn't the nicest place all the time.  Actually probably MOST of the time.  Blowing harsh wind, sub-zero temps, feet and feet of snow n' ice (sounds like North Dakota!).  But so many people do this amazing thing- they let nothing stop them and they summit one of the tallest peeks in the world!  Men, Women, people with disabilities, people with chronic illnesses, black, white- whatever! They want the rush of being "on top of the world".  Brian and I both read a great book not that long ago called "Together On Top of the World".  Because I read this book from front to back and looked at the collection of pictures in the back I feel I have the right to tell you- you should read it too!  I couldn't put it down.  The couple in this book climb all 7 summits together!  They over come and over come while falling deeper and deeper in love with each other.
People who climb Everest most times are planing their next trip up that fabled mountain before they see the top.  The sights are breath taking and the pain and suffering are worth it in the end.  And that is why I compare marriage to climbing.  If given the opportunity to STOP and look around the sights are breath taking!  Sure, there are times where it is "hard as hell" and I want to give up!  Toss in the towel!  People get divorced all the time!  It would be easier if it was JUST my money, debt, laundry, dishes, blankets and remote!  But then who would I spend my money on with no husband? Who would I celebrate with when I write a check and pay off 2 of my consolidated student loans (just did that the other day only 2 more to go!) Who's wallet would I wash accidentally? Who would I cook for so I can have those dirty dishes and who would I eat with? Who would I cuddle with in bed at night? Who would I explain the plot of the movie to and remind him "that's the bad guy"?  If I tossed in the towel and quit half way through the climb I would have missed out on so much!  I am truly blessed to be with the man who has been there for me, fought for me, held me while I cried, laughed with me (and at me).  I am going to leave you with one of the bible readings from our wedding day...6 years ago today...

Place me like a seal over your heart, like a seal on your arm; for love is as strong as death, its jealousy unyielding as the grave. It burns like blazing fire, like a mighty flame.Many waters cannot quench love; rivers cannot wash it away. If one were to give all the wealth of his house for love, it would be utterly scorned.  Song of Solomon 8:6-7

No comments:

Post a Comment